i have hunted in swPA and northern WV (Fairmont to Clarksburg area). most of which i hunt is brush covered wood like this...

Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Some guys just don't seem to understand hunting someplace where there are no fields or power line cuts, just woods.

You are right....some guys don't understand. Woods are open compared to this....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

the longest deer (doe) i shot was 365+/- yards on my friend's field. i can count my fingers and toes, have a few left over, that i have shot deer from 100 to 300 yards. i don't or can't remember the number of deer that i shot under 100 yards or 50 yards. i used to hunt for antlers, but i found out that antler soup ain't that good. i am a meat hunter now, besides which, i am disabled too (i had a stroke, right arm/leg are kaput). and Mule Deer, i can remember only 2 old bucks that were anything but tasty!!! sick cry wink

my first deer (small spike) was about 7 or 8 feet and i got it with a Winchester top eject m94 in 30-30 with open sights. i did a bunch of killing deer with the 30-30. my furthest shot with the 30-30 was about 175 yards, give or take. i put her in the safe for about 20 -25 years and then i sent her to JES Reboring and he did his magic to make her 35/30-30. then i put on a Williams FP aperture sight and i have got 2 does and a buck.

my next rifle was a new Remington m700 Mountain rifle in 30'06 with a 4x Bushnell or Tasco, whatever it was, it was cheap. i killed a number of deer with, but it just wasn't me. so i traded it for a new Remington m700 BDL and 3-9x Swift. i traded and sold it for an ADL and then CDL and then i traded it to a Savage m116 ss adjustable muzzle brake in '06. then i traded it for a Remington m7 in 7-08 with a 3-9x Swift. a nice little rifle that deer hate. i bought and traded many more rifles. i bought alot of 3-9x Swift scopes (old ones that had an over-the-counter warranty.

i set the Swift scopes to 4x and that is way i hunted, 6 - 9x was for targets. i hunted 4x for years and then my eyes got bad and then it 6x. then 10 years or so ago, i was gifted an 1898 Springfield Armory in 30-40 Krag from my grandpap. i could not see the open sights, so i an Redfield 102K aperture sight and it was good as rain. when i was 18yo, i was in the US Army and thats when i 'found" the aperture sight. i luved m16a2 apertures, but for years, i just plain forgot about them. my son holds the record (me and 2 sons) for the furthest shot on deer (doe), 173 yards (laser range finder) with a Krag using 165gr Ranch Dog and H4198. i have old Redfield's and Lyman's aperture sights on a 7.65x53, 8x57, 30-40 Krag, '06 and a couple more. while i have only one Williams aperture.

i can't see (danged eyes) the target or the deer using open sights, but i can see the target/deer using the aperture sight. when i had the 35/30-30 with open sights during deer season. i was sitting in my spot when a doe came within 30+/- yards from me. i put the rifle on my shoulder and lined up the shot, until...........i couldn't see the doe. she was like a brown blur to me. when i lifted my head off the sights, she was there. when i put the sights back on, brown blur. she walked away from me and i had the eye doctor's appointment the next day. i have glasses now, they are a "cure" for nearsightedness.

i have a story that i did about 12+ years ago. i have a Ruger No. 1 in 270 Winchester with a 3x9x Swift. she can part your hair at 400 yards. she is a shooter!!! anyway, i have her out one season and i'm trying to still-hunt for deer. then i see the deer and it is about 10 or 12 feet. the 8 point was screened by brush (see the picture on my post and then you know about brush). i put the rifle on my shoulder and i could see the deer. i was trying to thread the needle to shoot the deer in the chest. i finally found the spot on the brush that i could shoot the buck high shoulder in the lungs. so i did and the buck ran. i waited about 1/2 hour and then i began tracking the buck. where i first shot it all i can find is a little bit of brown fur. luckily, i was on a deer trail thru the brush, when 20 yards later, i found him. i took the round out and then i seen 6x on the scope. well, can i imagine that, i used a 6x on the scope. i should have put in 4x but.... now i have 2-7x Leopold's and 2-7x Vortex's. 2x is nice for me to take hunting, but 6x is for targets/deer.

i have hunted compound and crossbow for years, but i still like my rifles. i gave up hunting archery about 3+/- years ago, it got to be pain using crossbow with one arm.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".