Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by battue
...In fact some of the nicest Bucks I've crossed paths with was with a Dog running in front of me while hunting Grouse. However, while being quiet is one thing, many of my Deer have been shot while walking thru the woods, while trying to be quiet, but not making a job of it.

I think that if you act like a predator, then animals treat you accordingly. They can tell when you're walking along doing something else.

Okie John

I and the Dog were both acting like a predator in that we were both hunting Grouse. In those situations the Deer was concerned with the Dog and how it would respond to a possible threat. Similar to a Coyote. I could have shot the Deer easily, since its attention was not on me. Seen it happen with Deer enough that if allowed, I would have little hesitation of doing it often. Train the Dog to just wonder around out front and it would be deadly.

As far as being constantly on sneak alert...I agree with you. It isn't necessary to be successful. There is a lot going on in the woods and if a Deer had to flee at every sound, they would be running into trees.

Addition: The big ones may play a different game. If it is not the rut, they make few mistakes in the daylight.

Last edited by battue; 06/28/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler