Originally Posted by Mule Deer
tdoyka,

I've killed a bunch of big game with cup-and-core bullets, and still do on occasion. In fact I just published an article on 'em in a recent issue of Sports Afield, citing around 2800 fps as a good maximum muzzle velocity for consistent performance, whether on deer or even larger game.

May have taken more deer with the 150-grain Hornady Spire Point from the .270 Winchester than any other single bullet, handloaded to around 2850 fps, including one 300+ pound mule deer buck--and I started using it several years before the Interlock ring was introduced. Back then Spire Point already had a reputation for being one of the tougher cup-and-cores, and I later learned this was due to Hornady using a somewhat harder lead alloy for the cores than most other bullets. Have also used various Spire Points in calibers from .25 to 9.3mm to take deer and quite a bit of larger game, from bull caribou to elk-sized.

But have also taken a bunch of animals with Sierras, usually but not always GameKings, and have probably used the 160 7mm GK started at 2700 fps from the 7x57 to take more deer-sized African "plains game" than any other bullet at ranges out to 400 yards--and never recovered one. Am not exactly unfamiliar with Speer Hot-Cors, especially the 105-grain 6mm and 165-grain .30. Have a 165 in my collection that took a running whitetail buck at around 100 yards, using a .30-06 handload that got around 2800 fps. The buck was angling almost directly away, and the bullet end up in the far shoulder, retaining 85% of its weight.

Yes, I also use quite a few "monolithic" bullets for hunting, partly because I live in Montana and they tend to penetrate deeper on elk if the angle is a steep one--but also because they work fine at a wide range of velocities, and much of the local country can result in shots from 25 to 400+ yards. And they do tend to ruin less venison on closer shots, even when started at 3000 fps or more.

The other factor is that due to my job I have to try a wide range of bullets in significant enough numbers to get a good idea of how they work.

in the early to mid '90s, i had it in my head that a premium bullet is as good as gold. i bought 85gr Barnes X bullet in 243 Win. i eventually (with many powders) got it to shoot about 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" at 100 yards(5 shots/bench). deer season came and i shot a doe some 30 yards with it. a doe that ran 300 some yards thru the brush and mountain laurel which caused me to be on my knees and hands looking for the doe. at last, i found it. i drug her out on my knees. i field dressed her and i was surprised. the entrance was like the exit wound. in-between it looked as if i shoved a pencil thru. the X bullet never expanded. well my dreams of a gold bullet were washed away by reality. i gave up on the premium bullet and since then it is a C&C or cast bullet. there was a time that i dreamed about going West for muleys and elk, while going up north for caribou, moose and grizzly bear was on my mind. after my stroke (had it when i was 39yo) caused my right leg and arm to be about 20 - 25% good, my dreams and my job went away. but that's alright, now i'll drive Polaris utv to within 50 - 60 yards to my spot for deer. my brother built my "ground blind" and put in a swivel chair. i'll sit there for hours.

my collection of used bullets is close to zero or none. it was either thru-n-thru or fragmented.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".