If you double your price but lose half of your customers, you increase your profit.

Smith and Wesson and Ruger don't often cater to the wishes of the true believers and the knowledgeable because that isn't where the big sales are. More money in selling LCRs than they would ever make by bringing out a 5 shot SA in 480 Ruger. S&W has always made the dough with the j frame 38. An X frame may end up being profitable, but which one really drives the bottom line?

My take is that Burns doesn't care if he alienates a huge portion of the informed, skilled shooters because they're not his total target market and the exposure must be calculated to offset the vast negative word of mouth.

If value for money spent is your primary concern, you probably not in the target market.

If the guy gets a tiny percentage of the numbers exposed to his product as customers, he has done very well. The danger of bad word of mouth is changed and/or offset by the sheer numbers in cyberspace. The guy doesn't need to winnow that much wheat from a carload of chaff to be a success. Kind of like the success rates of direct mail campaigns but without near as much cost.

If you want the best and money is no object, perception can equal reality and the sizzle is as important as the steak.

FWIW., I sold my Freedom Arms 97 so I could afford more Rugers and Marlins. I appreciate top quality, but go with acceptable for budgetary reasons. If I had a watch I could sell for $12,000. I would.

Essay W.