Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Partsman
I just don't know, my old Remington in 25/06 didn't cost me much and the tweaking I did, fiberglass stock and bedding was not expensive and it shoots like a house on fire, got my goat at the longest distance I had ever shot at when it was hunting season.
Late brother and I bought barreled actions from an guy that got them from an outfit that went out of business, it was in 243, he worked the stock and trigger over as they were mauser actions and proceeded while recovering from a dirt bike accident that almost killed him and put him in a hospital for three months to get a goat at around 500yds, with a 100 grain bullet, he never saw the need for an expensive firearm.
So I guess for those that have the money heck have at her.
I just know what works for me.

Thats for sure, 500 really doesn't generally take a custom anything to get there, thats usually close to a chip shot for a tuned factory anything, and some load work! Certainly not 6000 bucks to get to 500... I've done over 500 on a coyote with a model one sales AR in 7x62x39 and they certainly are not BR guns.

I think that is what I have to remember when I look at some of these kind of threads.
What is a long shot for me(500+ yards) is a chip-shot for many of you long range shooters here at the fire.
Pretty impressive, and my hat is off to each one of you fellas.

You gotta remember a few things... first animal accuracy could be a 10 inch group at 500. Not that hard to come by really. Especially if you bed, tweak and reload.
Shooting accuracy.... if you can shoot a 2 inch group at 100, you can shoot a 10 inch one at 500..... its absolutely no different. Field prone is a STABLE position.

The part that starts to get most is the mental part. The part that has to be practiced the most is wind doping skills....

Beyond that 500 yards really is not complicated...... for me, and this is personal... past 600 can start to be weird at times... and beyond 800 I better be on my A game.... others ability differs. I'm far from the best and thats a fact.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....