I appreciate the comments Jeff. There is a tendency for todays military snipers to go toward the larger caliber rounds (I beleive the 300 Win Mag and the .50 Cal are now the military sniping rounds of choice). If I were to buy a new rifle just for long range hunting of deer/elk, etc, it would definitely be a 300 Win. Mag.

The popularity of the .308, although kicked off by the fact that it was the defacto NATO round for a number of years, is that much money time and effort has been involved in developing bullets, loads, and sniper scopes especially calibrated to maximize long range effectiveness on human targets. (Not to mention it's relatively mild recoil as opposed to the 300 Mags, 338 Lapua Mags, and .50 cals.

Many experienced military snipers think the .308's effective limit on humans is about 700 yards. (BTW most LE sniping is done at less than a 100yards with 80 yards the norm). Using that rule of thumb, I felt (that with the proper bullet) 600 yds would be about the effective limit on deer-sized game.

You are right in that the line between hunting rifles and sniper rifles are starting to blur in some areas. Most sniping rifles are designed to have MOA or better accuracy, with a bedding system that is designed to consistently produce that accuruacy despite variations in weather or altitude. When combined with the proper scope, range finder, and ammunition, you have a tool with a lot of potential for consistent long range hits.

But as you stated, being ability to utilize that tool requires a lot of practise at long range shooting, and you must match the right bullet to the game and the yardage. That is the hard part. Again thanks for the comments.