Thanks for the real world advice Okie John. As I stated in an earlier post, if I can't consistently hit at longer ranges, no way am I going to shoot at game at those ranges. I have shot a fair amount at 300m and can usually keep my group within 4 or 5 inches (and that was with a less than ideal scope). But I still beg to differ from .458 Lott. Being able to place a bullet were you want it at long range, is a separate issue from knowing which bullet to use on game at those ranges.

Killing anything, means hitting the right spot, with the right bullet for the range in which it is intended. Most hunting bullets work well on deer-to-elk sized game at 50 to 250 yards. But finding the right bullet for 400-600 yard shots on game is another matter (just look at the differences in opinion on this topic). People who have used the .308 successfully at longer range, say it is adequate with the proper shot placement and bullet. People who like the big bores (either theoretically or in practise) say the .308 doesn't have enough mustard.

Many elephants and cape buff have been shot with .303s and to the big bore enthusiast, that just isn't done.

Thanks for the input anyway, and I will let everyone know how the hunts turn out.