End of season report. As promised, I stated I would let everyone know the results of the hunt.

Packing a 12-15 lb rifle on a backpack elk hunt, was a pain at first, but after 3 or 4 days I got used to it. The bipod came in really handy when setting the rifle down (I have always thought it was a hassle, looking for a place to carefully lay a rifle down when on a steep slope and you needed to add or remove clothling layers.)

Unfortunately, I didn't get a shot at an elk this year (Word of advice! When out-of-staters (texans in this case BTW), act friendly and then casually state "Where exactly are you going to be hunting? That way we will stay out of your way." DON'T TELL THEM. I did that this year and opening morning both of them where right where I said I was going to hunt. One shot and lost a bull (may or may not have met point restrictions, based upon what the hunter told me.) and the other shot and lost a cow (spooking a herd out of the drainage which contained a nice 6-pointer). Live and learn, I guess.

I did call in a calf to within 30 yards, but that wasn't what I was after (sure looked like good eating though).

I will be going after antelope next year, so I should get another chance to make a 300-400 yard shot with the rifle. To me having a rifle, that I know I can shoot shoot minute-of-angle out to 4 or 5 hundred yards is worth the added hassle of
packing the extra weight.

Thanks to all the practical advice and support from the true long-range hunters.

Man you're making friends left and right!! These out-of-state hunters that you take issue with contribute hundreds of millions of dollars to our economy each year. I think you should thank em and ask them to come again next year. Thousands of small businesses in Colorado thrive off these folks. Also, with over 300,000 elk in this state it is not like we have to worry about elk numbers decreasing any time soon. Out-of-Staters are good for conservation and our economy.

As for carrying a 12-15 pound rifle to hunt elk......................that is your choice, but you can carry a 7 pounder that will be just as accurate.

The gun below is 7 pounds, with scope, sling, etc. and it shoots better than .5" with factory ammo. You can kill things all day at 500 yards if you do your part, so why kill yourself with a 15 pound gun. Build a 7 pounder and be done with it.

[Linked Image]

The guy that built this gun is from Colorado. Go down and see him, he will build you one hell of a gun that you can carry all day long. Pm me if you want his details.