wow.. even a year later there is still heated discussion about long range hunting....

I am first and foremost a hunter been doing it quite some time.. I am even a professional guide.

I spend alot of time in the summer and early fall scouting areas to hunt from.

I look for areas that give me a line of sight well over 1000 yards. These areas typically include the migration trails from one area to another. I also look for areas that offer views into multiple staging areas as well as multiple bedding areas. These shots are typically 500 yards+

Keep in mind that these shots can also be within 100 yards as well.

As far as what one person described as being close enough to the animal to scare them or make them fear or whatever.. thats freakin' hogwash.. why would you want to take a chance of spooking the game before you get your opportunity. If you can observe the game at a distance and take it cleanly with one shot .. why wouldn'y you? Reguardless of the distance.

A close shot more often than not leads to an animal bolting for anywhere but where it is at.

so YES I am a hunter but more often than not I "snipe" my intended target.

All you "purists" can just deal with the reality of it. Long range hunting has proven time and time again to be a sucessful and efficient way to hunt. There are thousands of feet of video tape to prove it. I spend the fall guiding for outfitters, my job then is to get the "hunter" as close as possible so don't tell me it is because I don't have the skills to get close. I prove that I can for 10 consecutive weeks a year.