CL,

I would think the object of shooting old muj is to "bring a world of hurt to those most deserving". Roger Out.

Flinch,

Thanks for your input. I fully realize that I will have to be able to make a good shot on any critter at 350+ yards to be effective. A gut shot deer/elk/bear at 450 yards, it not much different that a gut shot deer/elk/beer at 45 yard IMO.

It's interesting that you think the ballistic tip is better at long range (in those calibers) than the barnes. Although I've only used barnes solid (elephant and cape buff), I've used the Swift A-frames on buff and it does seem to make some sense that a bullet that opens up grudingly (i.e. holds together at 30 or 40 yards might not open up at all at long ranges and subsequent diminished energy/velocity). That's give me something to ponder.

I guess, I will try an shoot both and see which one is the most accurate with my scope/rifle and use that combination. Because (unless the bullet fails to penetrate) where you hit them is (IMO) the most important factor of all.

There is a Chinese proverb "Often people doing something, are interrupted by people telling them that what they are doing is impossible."

I guess I will go out this year and limit myself to 500 yards for bear (didn't get drawn for a deer) and 350-400 yards for an elk (of course if I see the granddaday of all elk or an interesting color phase of a bear, I will whack them at a closer range if that so presents itself).

I will let all of you know the results (even it it's hunted 15 days and never saw sh-t). LOL

"To hunt, to bathe, this is to live" from an ancient Mesopotamian carving.