This entire thread was basically shot in the guts about the same time the poster mentioned shooting a buff that way.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Amen to that. If I'd realized just how judgemental and selfrightous so many of the "hunters" are, I would not have posted that bit. Not because of any shame or any belief that it was "wrong" or not "honorable", only because of the fact that the original topic of the post was lost in the debate. Come to think of it the original topic was lost when so many of the so-called "hunters" started taking potshots at the entire concept of long range hunting.

One thing is apparent, many of the people who've posted have a very strict and narrow interpretation of what hunting is and isn't. And also to what is "fair chase" and "honorable".

Someone mentioned that long-range hunting isn't hunting, it is shooting. Using that logic, stalking to within 10 yards and shooting an animal isn't hunting, it is stalking, sitting in a tree stand for 10 days straight and shooting a whitetail isn't hunting, it's sitting, so on, ad nauseum.

With that, I think I will start a new topic under general hunting.