I'm editing to add the fact that folks seem to think the 308 is the "sniper" round for a reason. It is with the military and that carries over to the civilians many times. LE uses it because the military perfected the rifles and ammo and it works. The military used it because in a pinch you can grab linked M60 ammo Etc.... and still have a functional weapon. Try that with your 300 Win, 6.5x284 or my 338/300 RUM rounds. Given a choice I suspect that most folks would choose a better round for longer distance shooting. Sorry for the soapbox but I wanted to better explain why the 308 round was picked-- even though its not ideal.

I have often wondered why military snipers who aren't carrying the big .50 are using .308's

I can understand law enforcement, being most of their shots would be under 100 yds.

I find it hard to believe military snipers would be limited to a .308 even over a 30\06 that past snipers used.

Do you really think it is only about the ammo supply, or does the military really believe in the .308 for other reasons?