Birdwatcher;This account is wrong.Somebody made a mistake in confusing the "Salt Creek Massacre" and a completely different battle which occurred at a different time and at least twenty miles apart.

Oh... maybe Fehrenbach wrote it... grin

...who IIRC has N. Britt's body unmutilated and left covered with a buffalo robe as a sign of respect. That part coulda happened, especially if they recognized him.

Santana is worth mention, on account of he did jump to his death out of a second story window, but at Huntsville Prison and without dragging a guard with him.

[Linked Image]

I always figured that was the source of tbe Blue Duck episode on Lonesome Dove, but perhaps there was another guy too as someone suggested here just recently.

By this time things were sure closing in on the Kiowas. After all, Santana and the other two guys were basically picked up by the Army at home afterwards, on the reservation, called in by their Quaker Indian Agent.

Old Satank (about seventy at the time) never made it to trial...

[Linked Image]

This account of his demise agrees with Ferhenbach. I'd like to think that I would have the steel to chew the flesh off of my own hand to slip a set of irons so that I could go out fighting (heck, I'd like to think I'll still have TEETH if I reach that age)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitting_Bear

The REAL moral of that episode being never to underestimate anyone whom a people like the Kiowas would call one of the "Ten Bravest", ESPECIALLY when that guy knew that the whole tribe was watching, and especially at that point in their history.

(..and don't ever pull a mean-spirited joke like that Peacock guy did either eek)

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744