First off Birdy I salute you for doing a damn good job on this epic. grin
A general comment on the killing of indian women and kids. Lots of folks are really blood thirsty until they get to actually doing the deed.

As to the cattle a hundred men would most probaly eat two a week.
I base this on the issue tables for fresh beef in the confederate army at mid war, when it called for one beef per regiment. A regiment nominally being a thousand men but practically about 1/3rd that number if the regiment was very lucky.

Ration was supposed to be 6 oz pork or 8 beef per day per man.

Enough of that before I tell you more than you want to know. grin

Back to Moore's expedition. @ 100 men figure two head of beef per week X 4 weeks ( not really because they would not start killing cattle right off being they had good stuff from home when they started. Take a while to eat up what they brought with them)

Anyway 2 per week X 4 weeks give 8 head. Figure as they probably did some slippage and double the number and you got 16 head. That ain't far off my guess of around a dozen. Easy for a couple or three guys to handle that many cattle if they know what they are doing as I am pretty sure Moore's boys did.

Also since the cattle were purchased that means they were home cattle not range cattle and used to being around people and being handled. Not longhorns fresh chased out of the bush and wild as deer. That makes a big big difference.

OK now let's get back to slaughtering Comanches.

Quando Omni Moritati