Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I need to find Willbarger's book again, if only to tally up a body count, so exaustive and valuable today is his collection of accounts.

Was it Willbarger's own father who was scalped by Comanches, eventually dying from the exposed skull left by the wound more'n ten years later?

Surely a lot of suffering in that interval.

Birdwatcher

No it was his brother Josiah who was scalped. Two of my Great Aunts lived in the Wilbarger house for years in Bastrop, there on Main st. north of "downtown". Then two old maid cousins....

Across the road from my place is the old Roger's place. One of the original settlers of Austin's "Little Colony". One of the Rogers boys was killed by Indians cutting wood down on Wilbarger creek. Story is in Wilbargers book.

A Sorrow in our heart by Eckert is an awesome read, as are most of his books. I suppose my all time fav of his is "The Frontiersman" about Simon Kenton.

BN
the rogers on my dads side are descendents of these rogers.my grandmother was a rogers.

Hey I'm baaaaack!!!!!!! Still don't have a computer @ home, but I can get on this one at work for a little while. Been 8 weeks since wifey's surgery and she's doing GREAT!!!!!!

Roger, if you are a Roger's descendant you might be interested in this publication from the Env. Affairs division of TxDOT;

"Under Four Flags - History and Archeology of North Loop One, Travis County, TX"

You can find it and other archaeological publications at this link; http://www.dot.state.tx.us/gsd/pubs/envpubs.htm#u

A good friend of mine, John Clark (ret. TxDOT archaeologist)wrote the report I've mentioned above. His research delves into the Rogers Families in three different central Texas locations. Two in Travis co, and one in Bastrop co. I have a copy but currently it is out on loan to a fellow researcher.

I'll try to keep in touch!

Kaywoodie

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS