"I quoted Jackson, in support of your earlier post, to the effect that Texas was settled, not conquered."

Lest anyone get the idea that "settling" is somehow safer than "conqureing",I invite them to spend time on the ground in "Comancheria" and envision it as it was during the time in question.

One would do well to remember that historions - professional and amatuer - are restricted to written accounts from the period.Many of the settlers were illitierate and their stories never made the "news".

Our back roads and trails are dotted with markers,many of them private,noting graves of families wiped out by indians,and Comanches are by far credited with the majority of them.At least,among those I've encountered.

The single biggest problem faced by the settlers was the need to locate near a water source,which made them easy targets for raids.Finding old dugouts built into the side of a ravine a mile or more from water gave me a new respect for the kinds of people who ventured west of the frontier.

This thread was inspired by "Empire of the Summer Moon" and as I've said earlier,the guy should have got his ass out of the libraries and onto the ground and he wouldn't have written so much "revisionist and regurgitated bullshit".

The Eastern tribes were used as trackers because they had been civilized.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place