You know,I often wonder about the Indian names given to things.There is a Keechi Creek I cross down in Palo Pinto County , and another one further West , but I can't recall just where.

Lake Kickapoo is 10 miles or so from where I sit,but there is a Kickapoo Creek down below San Angelo and I saw "Kickapoo" applied to a creek or something just NW of Houston a couple weeks ago.

My point is that I woder if some of the places were named for tribes that actually had nothing to do with the area.

Tonk Valley in Young County was named because of the reservation that was established there,not because it was in the tribe's territory.

Along that same line,all the population estimates of the tribes are suspect.My Great Grandmother was half Comanche and half Cherokee and is enrolled as such in the Gov't Registry but drew her rations with the Wichitas.She claimed that most Comanches got in a line for one of the other tribes [that's how they registered them;form lines according to tribe to draw rations] because the blankets given to the Comanches were purposely infected with smallpox.

My Grandfather-being half white- was enlisted as an Indian Policeman and stayed one until they were dis-banded.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place