Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
"Speaking of Comanches being heedless of their own losses, those three other notable Texan victories over Comanches (John Bird at Bird's Creek '39, Jack Hays on the Guadalupe in '41 and at Walker's Creek in '44) all occurred when mounted Comanches repeatedly attacked in the face of accurate gunfire."

Birdy there is no way for us to second guess why Huston dismounted but the above gives me a clue. I suspect he wanted the Comanche to charge into accurate fire delivered from the ground instead of horseback. He was trying to tempt them into a charge. Unless he was a complete fool and I don't think he was, he knew that job one for the Indians was to protect the loot they were driving off so one charge was about all they could afford. There were more Texans coming up. If he could get them to charge there would be that many less to deal with when they broke off to hurry after the retreating horse herd.

As to cannibalism ALL native Texas indians, Comanche were not native, engaged in cannibalism to some extent or the other. Even the Caddo. Mostly ritualistic and only the Kronks were suspected of doing so for a food source.

Where did the Kiowas come from? I know the Comanche came from the Great Lakes region, but where did the Comanche come from? Did the Wichitas engage in cannibalism?

It had never occurred to me to even wonder where the Kiowas were from.