...and a typical Connecticut Yankee.

Maybe, but one who had'nads enough to ride with just two companions in 1857 from San Antonio to Eagle Pass, cross the river, and ride on into the interior of Mexico, at a time when the unwary and/or unarmed could pretty much plan on meeting a bad end.

One gets the impression that them being visibly armed at all times (with Colt '51 Navys cool) saved them much grief. That and their ex-Ranger guide "Woodland".

Here's what Olmstead wrote of the Indians he encountered in Mexico...

When we reached the principal street, we found upon the corner a company of Indians, on horseback and on foot around the shop where Woodland had hoped to obtain lodgings for us, for there was no public house in the town. "Mescalero-Lipan-Tonkaway!" he muttered, scowling anxiously as we approached them; "I know that fellow; I've seen him on the Leona. What are they here for?".

We halted while he rode among the group, and conversed with a Mexican for a moment. When he came out he said- "They won't take us in here. I don't know what we shall do. Do you see that old fellow with the squaw-that's a Comanche. I wonder what he's here for? Some of Wildcat's devilry I expect."

Note; that would be the very same Wildcat of Seminole War fame, who after removal also carved a reputation for hisself on the Texas Frontier, tho that part is mostly forgotten today. Ain't fer nothing there's a Seminole, TX way out on the Texas Plains. Also worth noting that in that polyglot assemblage of Indians were three groups traditionally hostile to Comanches; Mescalero and Lipan Apaches, and Tonkawas.

As we rode on past the Indians, they turned to look at us, speaking loudly to one another, and laughing, some of the younger ones beckoning to us to stop, and shouting, "Hi! hi!". "Don't mind them; ride on! ride on!" whispered Woodland, "they are looking at your rifle.".....

...an Indian came up, and tried to take my Sharp's rifle. I drew it away from him, and he, addressing me angrily, took hold of my arm, and tried to pull it towards him. "Keep it away from him, keep it away!" cried the Frenchman.

I spurred my horse, and with my free hand, disengaged mysself from him... He followed me for a few rods, yelling and gesticulating violently. The Indians all seemed to know the "Sharp" by sight, and to have a great desire to handle it. One of them told Woodland that he knew it had miraculous power to kill Indians."

...and Olmstead's impression of Indians in general...

Nothing can be more lamentable than the condition of the wandering tribes. They are permanently on the verge of starvation. Having been forced back, step by step, from the hunting grounds and the fertile soil of Lower Texas to the bare and arid plains, it is no wonder that they are driven to violence and angry depredations.

There are repeated references to starving Indians in Texas history, but Olmstead WAS writing from during the 1850's; known drought years across much of Texas, bad enough fer example to drive a great many Comanches to accept reservations.

And maybe notable that Olmstead saw few Comanches in Mexico, this was eight years after the massive cholera epidemic of '49 had hammered that tribe.

As to our policy towards them, we saw too little either of it to justify the expression of an opinion, having any other foundation that common sense. The borderers' idea, which looks upon them as blood-thristy vermin, to be exterminated without choice of means, was imperatively uppermost in our minds when in their presence.

A look into their treacherous eyes was enough to set the teeth grinding and rouse the self-preservation tigerhood of the animal man.... If my wife were in a frontier settlement, I can concieve how I should hunt an Indian and shoot him down with all the eagerness and yet ten times the malice with which I should follow the panther.

Yet the power of even a little education on these chaotic, malicious idiots and lunatics can hardly be over-estimated....

After the foundation of Fredericksburg by the German settlers, the principal supplies of food were obtained from the Indians, and the people were almost in consternation when the forts were first established near, and the Indians withdrew their supplies and their profitable barter.

The Comanche/German treaty regarding the establishment of Frederickburg (in the Texas Hill Country maybe 60 miles north and west of San Antonio as the crow flies) has the popular reputation of being the one treaty that was never broken by either side. A bit simplified in the specifics of course but true in the gist; the Germans having taken the revolutionary step of first having politely asked permission to settle, and then followed it up by treating the Indians charitably and fairly when they came into the settlements.

Comanches STILL come down from Oklahoma to participate in that town's annual celebration.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744