Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Cole I'll do the best I can and give you a much condensed version:

Kiowa can really be called only marginal Texas indians. Their principal homeland was to the north and east of the Texas panhandle in the Wichita mountains of OK. Where they origianlly came from God alone knows. Their own tradition says they came from the Yellowstone and upper Missouri country of Montana. @1780 they were in the Black Hills of SD. They and their confederates, Kiowa Apache, got driven out by the Dakota and Cheyenne and drifted south to the Wichitas.

Comanches came from the Northern Shoshones in the Rockies. Around 1700 they broke out into the plains of eastern Colorado when they acquired horses. By 1705 they were in NM and by @1750 they were in control of most of the southern plains having split the plains apache it two. Those that they didn't kill that is.

Did the Wichita engage in cannibalism?
Depends on which bunch of wichita people you are talking about. Kitchi did but it is arguable whether or not they were Wichita or Caddo. Waco and Tehuacana did. I don't know about the Wichita proper which were in Kansas mostly.

That is about the best thumb nail I can give w/o doing a whole lot more research than I want to do at the moment. Even for you buddy. grin
Thanks for the info Boggy. I was wrong about the origins of the Comanche as I now remember what you are saying is true. The Osage were originally from up in that area I was talking about and were moved down into Missouri and then Kansas before finally being told they had to live on that beautiful pile of rocks called Osage County. Too bad for the white man it had an ocean of oil underneath. I had completely forgotten about the origins of the Kiowa but what you are saying sounds right. It seems that where the Kiowa are concerned, a lot of people can't get their territory right as some put them in northern Mexico, just below the Comanches and others put them above the Comanches in southern Kansas-Oklahoma. I've always leaned towards the northern explanation, since there are a lot of place names in western Kansas with "Kiowa" in them.