Like you said Birdy, blood and thunder get written up in the history books, acts of mercy not so much.

"During the charge, Isaac Mitchell's bridle bit parted and his mule rushed widly headlong into the midst of the Indians. It then halted and sulked, refusing to move.

A angry Comanche Woman [I woulda said "frantic", almost certainly she had children with her] with a log of firewood smashed Mitchell in the head, knocking him from his mule to the ground.

Dazed, Mitchell sprang to his feet and saw the Indian woman rushing at him with a knife. "Kill her, Mitchell!", his buddies shouted.

"Oh no boys, I can't kill a woman!" he protested. Mitchell was forced to knock her down and snatch the knife from her hands to save himself.

I dunno if we know what became of that woman or if she was among the captured or not, or what became of her children, if any. Neither am I suggesting that those doing bloody execution that morning were necessarily bad people.

I do feel reasonably sure however that Isaac Mitchell was an exceptionally good man "

Sort of like, and you really have to hunt for this, when Sul Ross recaptured Cynthia Ann and killed Peta Nocona there was an indian boy child @ eight years old that more or less attached himself to Ross's leg and would not be separated. Sully took him home with him and raised him. Kid never wanted to go back to his people desite many offers.

Quando Omni Moritati