Well, Bee County fer one weren't a place to be a Mexican with an ox cart in 1857.

Point of interest, while almost all roadside Texas Historical Markers are pretty good, this one down by Victoria, written in the 1940's or '50's, has been famously egregious among Texas ecological types for at least thirty years. First pointed out to me by a Texas A&M Agricultural Professor back in the '80's.

[Linked Image]

'tweren't a "war" in the sense that the Mexican carters started it, or maybe even shot back, more like a series of bushwackings.

Not remarkable, some areas of Texas in those times were dangerous for EVERYONE, let alone Mexicans.

The famously egregious part was also blaming mesquite on Mexicans grin

Meanwhile I'm still bending my mind around the concept of hauling ICE this way from the coast to San Antonio as described by Olmstead.

Given the climate, it musta been about the most popular cargo among the teamsters there was grin Tho sobering to watch the profits drip away all during the trip.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744