Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Colonel Burleson's brother, John Burleson, was among the approximately twenty-five pursuers of the fleeing Indians. he shot and killed one Comanche who was riding a horse noted by several from Bastrop to be the fine race horse of the late Matthew Duty. Known as the "Duty roan", this horse had been taken when Duty was killed by Indians near Bastrop in 1836.

The Duty Cemetery is right in Webberville (Webber's Prairie) on FM 969. Matter of fact the other big cemetery is the Manor Cemetery where the Manor bros had a store just east maybe 3 miles from Webberville. Many San Jacinto vets buried there. In the spot where Smithwick talks about his cabin overlooking Webber's Prairie.

As for the Burleson's, oldest son's Eagle Scout project was restoration of the Mary Christian Burleson's cemetery just north of Elgin. Mike all these places are literally in my backyard here in Utley. (Utley was the maiden name of,I believe, Josiah Wilbarger's wife). I live on remnants of the old Roger's land tract.

According to Wilbarger, one of the Roger's boys was ambushed on the banks of Wilbarger's creek (where they killed that big alligator last March) by "Comanches" as he cut firewood. I can show you where I think that boy is buried!

Bob N.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 02/04/12.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS