Since my last post, the "Old Cardboard" Smthwick site has gone inactive frown Pity, that was a phenomenal resource, hope it comes back up.

Anyhoo, not as user-friendly, but available here...

When I left off, Smithwick had just arrived at the Guadalupe River...

http://books.google.com/books?id=8-..._r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

In meantime a cold norther had come on and, there being no timber on the west bank of the river, I thought to cross over to the east side, which was heavily timbered, and make another lonely camp.

The ford was an ugly one at any time, the current being very swift. Failing to observe there had been a rise in the river, I plunged in, and almost instantly my mule was swept off its feet, and away we went downstream. I managed to disengage myself from the saddle, dropping my gun in so doing, and losing my blankets, which I had thrown across the front of my saddle to protect my legs against the cold wind. I hung onto the bridle, and being a good swimmer, finally succeeded in getting the mule out on the same side we went in.

Having lost my gun and got my powder all wet, there was nothing with which to strike a fire... ...and not a dry thread on me, the wind fast approaching the freezing point, and no shelter from it. By this time it was getting dark, and I was shaking with cold.

Driving this route was an impulse deal, and I had not done any prior study or brung any means of accessing the 'net. Therefore I had no idea where the old Camino Real crossed tbe Guadalupe, I was thinking the road veered further east, maybe crossing the river below New Braunfels.

My thinking was this, in New Braunfels there are a set of springs called Comal Springs which give rise to maybe a two mile stretch of river (Comal River) that empties into the Guadalupe. My thinking is that Smithwick probably crossed below the Comal, but in all my years here I had never really explored that pretty town, tho it lies only about an hour away.

Accessing these two waterways aint as easy as you might think. This is Texas and, as always, most of these waterways wind between private land. So while I could FInd 'em easily enough, FOLLOWING them was a whole 'nother deal entirely.

First, a study in springs.

Just below that bridge (Hidebrand Ave.) lies the main San Antonio Spring, headwaters of the San Antonio River (above that the same channel forms an intermitted stream - Olmos (Elm) Creek). As you'll note, the springs have fallen on hard times, three million people drawing on that same aquifer will do that...

[Linked Image]

As previously stated, much of the present San Antonio River within the city limits comes from a well in the Zoo. In recent years that has been limited due to high E. coli levels in that water, nowadays the difference is made up with recycled sewage treatment plant water. Not a public health issue, but high in nitrates and phosphates with the attendant plant and algae growth that accompany that, as seen here just below the zoo....

[Linked Image]

So much so that they have to chemically control algae along the river walk proper.

A couple of miles away lies the other great San Antonio spring of days gone by.. San Pedro Springs...

[Linked Image]

Used to be San Pedro Springs fed a famous, clear pond, a classic swimming hole, and the most likely spot for a fictional Gus and Clara to pitch woo as recounted in Lonesome Dove. Turns out the dwindling pool was finally closed to the public in the 1940's on account of it had gone stagnant due to reduced spring flow, the pool being filled in.

In the nineties the city did a bang-up job of digging out and recreating the old spring-fed water hole, except using city water, note the original bald cypresses, still in place

[Linked Image]

An idea of what these two springs, and thus the San Antonio River, formerly were like can be seen by observing tbe Comal....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Seen here flowing clear and swift between high dollar condos and homesites. Crystal clear water, an even 78F all year round.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Sharpshin/frontierfolk/smith29.jpg[/img]

Comal Springs persists the way it does largely on account of endangered species protection limiting water use by San Antonio in times like the severe drought we are currently in.

Used to be that any landowner could draw all they wanted, and as San Antonio grew, New Braunfels and San Marcos found themselves faced with being left high and dry. An independent landowner south of San Antonio brough the matter to a head, his randomly-dug well hitting a main artery in the aquifer and causing an immediate and enormous drain.

The State put THAT guy on hold by denying him a wastewater permit to discharge the flow into the Medina River, forcing him to cap the well. Shortly thereafter the Endangered Species Act and the threat of Federal action was the club used by the state to put the aquifer in the public domain.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744