No school today in Lockhart! When i got up this morning the water was about 8 inches deep in the yard. And the county road was underwater. Lots of water thru our bottom land. Wonder how Jeff is down at La Grange???

On the subject of Comancheria, in the 18th century in the Bastrop Area, one Spanish military journada (can't remember but i think it was the 1757 journada) did deviate from the established trail to the east of the Camino Real, to the area of probably present day Burleson Springs. Not all the way to present Bastrop. The tribes they encountered were of the Saha dialects. The established road way skirted an immense grass prairie, just east of the IH 35 corridor, before it veered back to the east and on toward the Presidio Los Adaes.

Reason for this was to avoid the almost inpenetrateble "Monte Grande" . The large post oak and blackjack forest that bisects the state from deep south Texas almost to the Red River.

The regular Colorado river crossing in this vicinity was at the Arroyo Garapatas juncture. (Present Onion Creek). This is just about smack daube at the present intersection of SH 130 Toll road and SH 71. Here in 1716 on his way back to Natchitoches La., Louis Jurcherau de St. Denis, leading a party of Spanish trade delegation (without the consent of the Spanish Crown, he had married into the Ramon family to cement a deal); The party was attacked by a band of "Lipanos" who had covered themselves with green buffalo robes in the hopes that they would turn fusil balls......

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS