Johnston, not Johnson. A Confederate General, not some nasty politician.

Never said he was, a nasty politician that is. Huston apparently pressed the issue, the occasion being Huston's losing command of the Texas Army to Johnston. Anyhoo, it worked after a fashion; Johnston, being wounded, could not take command.

Smithwick encountered Johnston, twenty-five years later, the occasion being Smithwick (a Union man) leaving Texas for California encountering Johnston comng the other way...

http://www.lsjunction.com/olbooks/smithwic/otd26.htm

It was so hot during the day that we had to keep up our night travels, during which every cactus was regarded with suspicion. Somewhere out in that desolate region we met A. Sidney Johnston and party hastening to join the Confederate army. Upon learning that we were from Texas he said with some asperity:

"I think you are doing very little for your country."

"Well," I retorted, "it seems to me you are doing equally as little for yours." Johnston had just resigned his position as commander of the Pacific Coast Division of the United States army.

We wanted to send letters back to friends in Texas by the party, but they did not care to have papers that would betray their destination in case they fell in with United States troops. They at least had the courage of their convictions, which was more than could be said of the current of emigration that was setting toward California.

It is a bad if not uncommon mistake to equate being nuts with nuts.

In this case I believe one can judge that particular tree by its nuts... er... fruit.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744