"Britt Johnson died as heroically as he lived. On January 24, 1871, while he led a wagon train through Young County delivering supplies from Weatherford to Fort Griffin, a group of either five or twenty-five Kiowas, depending on the account, attacked the wagon train four miles to the east of Salt Creek. Johnson and the two other teamsters with him tried to defend the wagons, but there was little cover. Outnumbered, the teamsters put up a desperate fight. They killed their own horses and mules to make breastworks, bravely resisting to the end....

When others, either soldiers from Fort Griffin or another set of teamsters depending on the account, found the site of this attack, they counted 173 rifle and pistol shells around the area where Johnson made his last stand."

Birdy....... here again two accounts are mixed together.The battle mentioned is properly called "The Warren Wagon Train Massacre" , and Britt was not involved.

Britt was killed,according to most credible sources,about 3 or 4 miles West of the wagon train, and at a different time.The location of Britt's death [ from memory] is between Flat Top Mountain and the Turtle Hole.

THAT establishes the site's longitude since they are in [roughly] a North/South line,and it seems likely it was along the wagon road the Warren train was traveling.

Some accounts claim that Britt was buried at the spot,some say he was buried in Weatherford.I've thought since you started this thread that it might be interesting to try and locate the exact spot of his death.Maybe get up a "24 hour campfire " party!

A friend of mine owns the Turtle Hole,and I can get permission to go anywhere we would need to from the landownwers involved.

As a kid,I rode horseback all over Flat Top and surrounding area.I might have rode across his grave.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place