I should have mentioned that all those natives in LOTM were suppose to be speaking something other than Cherokee and Muskoegean! LOL!

BCR, I found it interesting that there were pronghorns on the Attwater prairie as late as the 1830's! At least I think it was Smithwick that mentioned shooting them (prairie goats?) on the way back from San Jacinto.

On the subject of languages, Evidently La Salle had no issues making himself understood by the natives here using a form of sign language. I do not think it was the same as the plains Indians, but I'm not sure. Joutel mentions he learned it in Canada, so it could very well have been. And his Huron "Nika" was able to somewhat understand the languages of several Caddoan groups. These guys had 1000's of years to figure stuff out.

I do not know at what time the trade jargon "Mobilian" became common. But I'm pretty sure a form of it was being used for a very long time in the south and southeast. It is muskoegean based, and is a true pidgin language. By the 18th century it had incorporated many French, English, and Spanish words.

Examples
Chapeau = shapo
Vaca = Waka
turnip = tanip

The language was know to the natives as "Chicasakala"
The question being asked would be "Akosta nichi Chicasakala?"
"Do you understand Chicasakala?" It wasa very univerally used pidgin.

Just some of my rambling...... Sorry...

BN

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS