"I knew the 18th Century Creeks were regarded as surviving remnants, but I was surprised to learn recently that even the Cherokees as we know them in our own history were assembled as a tribe from the remnants of earlier peoples in the aftermath of the catastrophic post-DeSoto round of epidemics (Kaywoodie, feel free to step in here if I err). "

Pretty spot on. Basic thing that kept most of these folks together were their linguistics. "Tslagi" (we say Cherokee)lingustics are generally all from the Algonquin groups. Funny to watch that flick "Last of the Mohicans" and see all the Cherokee and Muskoegean, two seperate linguistics group, being slung all over the place! LOL!

Another thing to note is the whole Seminole thing. They were ALL made up of remenants from somewhere else due to the Euro encroachment. Mostly from the Florida panhandle and places north like Alabama, Georgia, and S. Carolina.

You also saw several groups in southern Louisiana and Mississippi who's language was of the Souian groups. The Tunicas were one such group.

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. Lots of computer issues...

Bob N.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS