Originally Posted by stevelyn
The majority of so-called end of days prophesy and the what and when is a Protestant construct and most of it is less than 200 years old and wrong.

The modern nation-state of Israel has nothing to do with God's chosen people or Biblical prophesy. We, The Church are Israel. All the promises are fulfilled. Israel the nation-state has nothing else coming to them or any special standing.

Not so fast my Reformed, amillennialist friend. I wouldn't wax so dogmatic about that. When you say it is a Protestant construct in the last 200 years, it is correct that new and vibrant scholarship has brought it--dispensationalist premillennialism--to light in the last 200 years, but the early church fathers were premillennialist and only with the spiritualising the scriptures in the Alexandrian school in Egypt in the late 200 AD did they veer from those original beliefs and deny a most literal hermeneutic of the prophetic scriptures.

Origen was a principle in this and he informed Augustine whose amillennialism became the belief of the RCC and then the Reformers neglected to reform it back through the Reformation.

As to ethnic Israel, is God finished with them? Did he change His immutable (unchangeable) mind in regard to all the promises to the OT Abraham, Jacob, Isaac, and David? I think not; rather I would argue your Replacement Theology is a construct.

Most Reformed denomination members are immersed in these (your) beliefs if they are aware of them at all. I would argue, gently so, that they are a tradition of men.