Originally Posted by curdog4570
Those are excellent points, but I also consider that Christ was a unique figure and it's doubtful that His message would not have survived without an authoritative text. And... just how "authoritative" is that text? Is it not the reason behind all the different denominations of Protestants? And is not considered inadequate without Priestly interpretation by the Roman Catholics? Don't the Mormans believe that it needed an addendum, thus we have The Book of Morman.

I don't recall any instructions accorded to Jesus during His earthly mission regarding writing down accounts of it. I do believe I read something about "preaching the gospel". Sounds as if He may have figured word of mouth was the best way to spread the "Good News". Lending credibility to that idea is the fact that He had witnessed what human nature had done with the O T scriptures and He never indicated that He expected human nature to change.

Then He promised to send a Teacher, the Spirit of Truth who would instruct US in all things. Taken in context, it's clear that He meant each individual.

To sum up, I believe the bible to be useful in attaining a Spiritual way of life.

To me, it is akin to prostitution to view it the same way the Muslims view the Koran and it sure seems like that happens with some folks.

SEE......... their "god" was invented by Mohamed and died with him, so the book is all they have. Jesus is alive and well and able to communicate with His adherents directly.... even those who are illiterate.

If He doesn't "talk" to you [editorial "you", of course] maybe you've never learned to listen, and all the bible reading and memorizing in the world can't teach you.

If you were born in a predominately Muslim country you would most likely be a Muslim yourself (or dead).