Gus, RD had a pretty good answer.

While I am not emphatic or dogmatic about it, I lean toward what among Christians is the known as the Young Earth view; that is that the earth is a relatively young ~ 6000 years old. This approximate figure is arrived at by computing chronogeneologies that start in Genesis. Assuming that is true consider the following:

Before all the resident scientists here gnash their teeth and need an extra, late afternoon toddy, let me add that one day science will catch up to the Bible. THAT ought to lead outright drooling seizures..and another toddy. But just remember when we all thought the earth was flat and review Galileo's story if you need too for context. Also, remember carbon-14 dating, which is primary in giving us billions of earth years, is built on presuppositions.

If creation was at "0", the Flood was about "1600 AM" (anno mundi-the year of world), and Moses (the Exodus from Egypt), whom Ricky references, was about 2300 IIRC.

Now according to the Bible, from Adam to the Flood, folks lived a good part of a millennium, or a thousand years, or more than half the time to Moses and these folks "had" the masthead of God's personal revelation in The Garden. So Moses knew the history of the earth or had heard it by oral tradition even before his climbing the hill where as RD explained he may have had a personal downloading of the whole story.

Bank on it.