I suppose there is a significant difference between a love for God which translates to a love for His word vs a love for His word because it validates ones need to be right. The Pharisees certainly seemed to be live they were showing reverence for God's word but failed to keep its spirit.

Of course Christ showed His love for God's word by citing it constantly. He didn't make up words about Himself extemporaneously He quoted what His Father (who He loved) had said concerning Him.

Another way to think of it is the reverence I might have for love letters sent from my wife. It isn't that I love the letters; its that they are a sign to me of my wife's love for me. Now if my kids were to spill kool aid on them and I abuse them for it I'd be sinning but that wouldn't be the letters fault it'd be mine for placing them before people.

Which if I am hearing you correctly is your beef with Scripture; you don't care for the ways that sinful people have used it as a whipping post for others. Am I correct in that understanding?

I tend to think that, just as in so many things in life, this is all about balance. Did Christ send the Spirit? Yes. I know because the Bible says so and because the Spirit says so, not sinply one or the other. Seems to me if Christ referenced God's written revelation of Himself then I ought to also. He didn't do it like Muslims do tho; He loved God's image bearers first and chastised the Pharisees for holding (supposed) love for keeping Gods law above love for people.

I read and study God's love letters to me because I love Him and want to know Him better and am confident the Spirit works with that study to bring me closer to our Lord.

Anyway good covers action here. Thanks JGR curdog Ricky George & others for keeping it going.