I'm in the process of putting together my Africa Cape buff rifle, for a hunt in 2010. The rifle is a Wby. Euromark I bought from a friend who needed cash. It's a .416 Wby, with 24" bbl. For those not familiar with the Euromark, it is now only offered by the custom shop from Wby, but is wood stocked with a non-shiny oil finish, and matte finish metal work.

I have removed the muzzle brake, and handloaded Barnes TSX 400 gr. bullets to Rigby velocities (2400 fps), which can be shot from this rifle without a brake, and without endangering everyone's hearing. I have also installed a drop magazine, which increases the capacity to 3 + 1. It feeds flawlessly. Accuracy is unbelievable- most 3-shot groups at 50 yards are just ragged single holes.

Scope is a 1.5x5 Leupold VXIII, in Leupold mounts. I have debated installing a barrel band sling swivel mount, but probably will not. My practice off of shooting sticks has so far not resulted in banged knuckles, but I have also not been shooting at buffalo.

This rifle does not have open sights.

My question is this- how many of you, on a buffalo hunt, as a client, had occasion to remove your scope and use open sights?
Once? Ever? Ever know anyone who did?

I have a backup scope, 1.5x5, in rings, to take along, in case of a scope failure. My outfitter seemed to be much more concerned about the muzzle brake issue than anything else, rifle wise.

Thoughts?

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....