What some don't seem to understand is that at very close range, it's not iron sights vs. the scope, its the pointability issue of that really close encounter where a fast quick point shot is all your gonna get before your tossed or et, that is when you definately want a clean receiver, not cluttered with a scope, you just point and shoot and hope you hit the brain..This is also the beauty of a double rifle, but at that point one shot is all your gonna get.

I have seen a few studies, test, whatever, in folks back yards and written up in magazines wherein the scope won, but they sure were designed to make a point for the scope.

I recall such a instance with a well known, now deceased, African PH gun scribe and author and very close friend, wherein he challenged me to such a shoot off, I beat the sox off him, so he said I cheated because I shot instinctively and that proved nothing for iron sights! smile well duh! so what, it worked and I cannot shoot instinctively with a scoped rifle, but I can aim and not shoot instinctively with irons beyond my instinctive ability or about 25 yards, beyond 25 I aim...

I defy you to shoot faster or straighter than the hunter who can just "point" his rifle and hit a 3 inch black a 25 yards consistently..This is how I practice with irons,except at that range I don't use the irons. I point and shoot at 25 yds and I strive for both bullets touching..It is not as hard as it sounds. I would suggest you try it a few times, then when you get pretty good at it, try it with your scoped rifle.

For those who insist on a scope, then your mind is made up,and the scope is the only way your going to go anyway, so it's probably best for you..

I would not go into the bush with a scoped rifle, those bulls can jump you at point blank range..I saw a tape the other day wherein my good friend Johan Calitz stopped a bull that came out of nowhere at about 10 yards. he pointed and shot and fell backwards kicking at the bulls head, he killed it with that point shot with his Searcy double and it slide to his lap...