Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Longbob
Originally Posted by rost495

As to correct placement of a post front sight, there is none. You use what works for you. 6, line of white, flat tire, sub six, frame, center, navy etc.... I have zeros for all of those and use different ones at times... I often hold center, but in 2 positions only, and for prone I use only 6 or frame hold depending on distances and lighting conditions. Much like I change rear aperture size and my lense colors as the light dictates.

Sir,

It is my understanding that you are one of the top match shooters in the country. You mention several terms that I am not familiar with and I would like clarification. If you have time, please explain what a few of those terms mean like 6, line of white, etc.... Thank you in advance!

I haven't hunted much with open sights and I am really wanting to improve my shooting abilities. I am in the market for a nice .22 that is similar to my hunting rifles like a CZ or something. I feel that shoot a .22 will help plus it is a heck of a lot of fun.

I also intend on practicing with my regular rifles that have open sights along with a close buddy so that we can practice the "flinch drill." That is always an eye opener.

As an aside, I prefer open sights on all of my rifles. Not only for function, but also for the aesthetics. It makes them look more like the "rifleman's rifle" to me.

I"m far from a top shooter, but lets just say when I was still really active around the early 2000 era, I could hold my own with an AR15 service rifle....

Sight pictures... I only use a flat top sight, I don't like round or bead fronts... just how I am. And its been fairly well proven that flat top and sides net better shot calls and placement.

That being said sub six is holding the post top under the white a fair amount. As much as a few scoring rings up to even half the buff under the bull. MOving up line of white is a thin sliver of buff showing under the bull, I almost shoot that.. I shoot what I call true 6, barely touching the black but since the bull is round a sliver of buff left and right of center under the bull. Then flat tire, push the sight up just barely into the black. Center hold is just that. Navy hold is covering up all or almost all of the black with the sight. Frame hold is holding same amount of buff left,right and above the blade... essentially covering up the complete aiming black. Thats how the terms have been described to me and I've used almost all of them at one time or another depending on sighting conditions and distances between 200 and 1000 yards.

The flinch drill is a really great drill, its called more correctly ball and dummy... dump 10 or 20 rounds in your pocket, half dummies, half live.... WOW is all you can say and its a drill I tried to shoot at least once a month to see if I'd developed a flinch or bad muscle tension.

I think you are being modest, but so be it. smile

Thank you again for the detailed explanation. Your description is very clear to me. I didn't know it was called the ball and dummy drill. I haven't tried it by myself and I don't have any dummy rounds. I guess I could make some. I always did it with a buddy and let him had me the rifle ready with or without a round.

It would be interesting to try it with a .22 and see if I flinch. Man, that would be embarrassing. grin