Jeffo,
I agree the buckhorn is for young eyes and never was much of a good iron sight anyway...I would opt for the shallow V and a 3/32 ivory bead or one of the green or red optic front sights that Steve (Shakari) suggests..

Also my grandfather showed me an old Texas Ranger trick..They filed a deep shallow V in the rear sight and squared up the front blade to a post configuration..then they took a very course sight picture with the post at the top of the V, much the same as you have on a S&W pistols target sights except you have a V as opposed to a square rear sight slot...They sighted them in by filing the top of the rear sight or the top of post.

this set up is as fast as any receiver or peep sight and every bit as accurate, I still have his 94 SRC set up like that and I shoot it better than any iron sighted rifle I own, and I have won a truck load of turkeys and hams with it, made money leasing it out at shoots! smile and won about every running lion and buffalo shoot I have been in if they allowed me to use it, which they don't very often requiring a 375 or larger....try it, you will like it, especially as you age and your eyes wear out...

I don't wonder that the Mexican bandits referred to them as "los renches diablos" ( the devil rangers.. They were the best of marksmen, and they could shoot fast. at 90 years old he was a fantastic shot with that rifle and a colt pistol..He used to take it away from me and shoot at my target, a prickley pare at about a 100 yards..Then look at me and say "like that, son" smile smile smile everytime..I still can't do that every time.

Last edited by atkinson; 10/31/09.