If one is more comfortable with a scope then I agree with bigsqueeze that your scoped rifle will work 95% of the time, but IF one goes into the high grass or the really thick mopane then you are 110% better of with irons if you can shoot them..In the high grass what you may see is a head five feet off your gun barrel blowing blood all over hell..one needs to be very quick and very accurate. I have only seen this on one show on TV as Bigsqueeze refers to and that was with Johan Calitz and he got knocked on his butt...I also have been pushed around a bit, so I am sot in my ways on this subject and others when it comes to my survival!! and all the back up in the world may or may not work in these up close situations...

The important thing is to have the iron sights on the gun then if you ever need them they are there, why in the hell would one do otherwise is beyond me, they don't cost that much....oh yeah, and take the time to sight them in at 50 yards.

I realize that scope bases can interfere with your iron sights in some cases but any good gunsmith can remedy this situation..I took and end mill and cut a lengthwise grove through my Talleys, and then you have Talbott QDs, Griffen and Howe side mounts and the great claw mounts..The options are out there if you want to spend the money and if your on a $20,000 to $100,000, a set of even expensive scope mounts should not be a problem..

You also have the options of slipping on a Talley peep sight on the rear scope base and they work great at $65.00..carry it in your cartridge belt, its fast and accurate.