"...I have killed exactly one bull elephant. He was killed with a searcy double rifle in 357 fl and the rifle had a 1.1x4 S&B Zenith flashdot scope on it. Had it not been for the red dot the elephant would not have bee taken. I shot low on my first shot because unlike you I go nervous and excited. the secound round caught him in the should and the PH fired two rounds that this time even tough he could not see his iron sights. I chased down the elephant and in about 100 yards he had decided that he was coming back. One round at the edge or the neck/spine area ended it."

Lets look at the portion of your post quoted above.

In particular, lets look at that first shot:
"Had it not been for the red dot the elephant would not have bee taken. I shot low on my first shot..."

So, explain how in the hell that S&B helped you out if you missed the shot?

Now the second shot:
"[T]he [sic] secound round caught him in the should[er] [sic]"

If you include the shoulder blade as part of the vitals, the target size expands to not just the lid of a 55gal drum, but to the whole damn drum. Christ, the elephant was 20yds away! Do you really nead an illuminated reticle scope to hit the lid of a 55gal drum or even the whole drum at 20yds?

I have the S&B Zenith 1.1x4 with the #4 style illuminated reticle. It is the perfect scope, the perfect reticle for a 375H&H (or Flanged, or Ruger) for any hunting EXCEPT elephant hunting, where no scope is the best choice.

Go kill another dozen or so elephants and then come back and tell me you still think that a scope is a better choice.

BTW, here's something for thought: Your PH put two rounds into the elephant's shoulder, he didn't need or use his sights.

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 11/11/09.