My .458 has iron sights plus a Leupold 1.5-5 scope in Talley QD mounts. The scope has the extra wide duplex reticle. I have never detached the scope even though I have followed up one each wounded buffalo and elephant. Nor have I ever hunted DG with the scope set at any magnification but 1.5.

I believe that I can get on target faster with this scope than with iron sights. The secret is (a) keep both eyes open and (b) make sure the rifle fits, so that you are immediately on target when bringing the rifle to your shoulder. this way you look at the game, not at the rifle or scope.

So for me the iron sights are nothing but a backup in case the scope breaks. It hasn't. Weather? It never rains during the times I hunt in Africa.

One disadvantage with iron sights: With your scope set at 1.5, you can see the front sight as a fuzzy blob in the bottom of the scope sight picture. This can bother some people. I ignore it.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.