Didn't one of the African PH schools run some pretty extensive tests of speed, accuracy, etc. of low power scopes sights and the scopes came out ahead?

I have killed exactly one DG animal, a bull elephant and I would not have killed it if I had not had a scope on my Searcy double rifle. The scope was a S&B 1.1x4 flashdot and it was set on 1.1 and had the reddot on. I wounded the elephant and followed it up and killed it. The rising sun was full in our faces and the elephant's head was all but obscured by the glare, but I could see the reddot and a silhouette of the elephant's head. My PH said that he couldn't see his sights.

Don't get me wrong, I love iron sights and shoot them all the time. I like the way a sleek rifle handles when the stock is built for iron sights. It seems that type "B" mausers are just about a perfect fit for me.

However, I don't kid myself that with an equally perfectly fitted stock and appropriate scope choice that the scope is a superior device.

josh

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955