Originally Posted by Lee24
Thanks for you armchair advice, BMT,

You are welcome.

You seem to thinking about theoretical trajectory, not shooting skill.

Ummm, no. I was considering real life hunting situations-- sloping ground, slippery footing, difficult conditions of light and wind. With Open sights, not Precision adjustable match grade Peep sights, regular express style open sights (or more likely, Ghost Ring" peep sights).

The six inch target I referred to is not some input to your ballistics program, but an actual target a hunter must be able to hit every time offhand at 150 yards. At 50 yards, he needs to be able to hit 2 inches every time.

Why is that? An Elephant's brain is the size of a football, not a racquetball. A Buff's heart/shoulder is as big as a softball. What is so small and hard to hit that such precision is needed? In such cases, a coll head and knowledge of anatomy seems more important that a high level of precision.

And why must this be an Offhand (standing, unsupported) shot? Why cannot a hunter shoot from kneeling? Why not shoot from an improvised rest? On my last Hog hunt, I took a boar running from right to left at 80 yards. Even with the hog moving at a dead run, I had time to step left 4 paces and use a fencepost as a rest.

The issue is not just shooting a charging animal, but shooting a wounded animal which is running away, or one which hold up and waiting for you, or one which is running past you as it charges another person when the hunting party is spread out.

And this cannot be accomplished with a 2.5 power scope? Such scopes have proven very useful inside buildings in Iraq and other ares of the "Sandbox". Why won't they won't work in Africa on a huge animal?

If you are a poor shot, you can just wait until the animal closes the distance on you.

Or you should practice more. cool

Or, as some seem to prefer, depend upon your guide, hunting partners, or dumb luck to save you.

Or, you can just substitute Google for knowledge . . . . . . . . whistle

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 01/20/10.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II