Originally Posted by prm
Thanks.
Thinking about it, I've concluded I don't have layers that compliment each other. I was often wearing a kuhl sweater I have over FL merino and then a Kuiu DCS Guide over that. Very warm, but I don't think the sweater breathes well enough to work with the merino. A better wicking layer, and then an insulation layer that breathes better (Polartec alpha) would likely serve me well. Maybe Sitka Kelvin Active? Then add a puffy (Kifaru or others) for the really cold glassing.

My system will need to include all that's possibly necessary for 4-5 days at 10k elevation in October.

Most people seem to be about like that. Lots of clothes, usually quality ones, but none of them really work together. As I said I really try to limit how many layers and actual items I carry and wear.

I care nothing about camouflage for hunting (have killed quite a few deer with a bow on the ground in a tie dyed shirt) and usually choose good mountaineering cloths, however for better understanding of how clothing systems can work for you or against you, any podcast with John Barklow of Sitka is worth listening to. As an aside- I don't wear much of it, if any at all, but Sitka's mountain line is about the only hunting company who's clothing is about on the same level as top mountaineering brands like Arctyrx. Sitka is making really good gear these days.