Originally Posted by Windfall
I got a Kuiu catalog with my last Outdoor Life issue and they have the Super Down Pro listed with 5 ounces of 850 down with a total weight of 13.4 ounces. On the next page is the slate (they call it Phantom) colored Super Down Ultra one that I would buy just for that non-camo color, but it only has 2.3 ounces of the 850 down fill with a total weight of 7.9 ounces. Customer reviews say that people think that it is too fragile and thin.

Fragile and thin is probably based on hunters putting the jacket into circumstances it wasn’t intended for. I recall reading a thread over on Rokslide where some dummazz was pissed because his Sitka Jetstream didn’t keep him dry in a coastal WA/OR rain. Sometimes you can’t fix stupid.

A 7.9 oz down jacket is meant to be a mid layer and not an outer layer. It will not hold up walking through brush. Neither will a Patagonia Ultralight Down or and Arc’teryx Cerium SL or anything else with a low denier fabric.

Kuiu came out with the SD Pro because people were wearing the SD as an outer layer. In addition to a tougher shell they added more down fill. My only complaint is in cold weather when you need the Pro, the fabric gets very noisy. But that’s something they all do to an extent.

Really there’s no free lunch. You either pay the weight penalty with heavier fabric and/or more fill or you accept that your jacket is 1) not going to be all that warm or 2) will be susceptible to punctures.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.