First off, Thank you Biwinters and all who contribute to this thread. It has been a big help to hear everyone's experience with their gear.

It is Flintlock season now. The high temp in the mountains here yesterday was 10 degrees above. I tracked deer all day wearing only a mountain hardwear butterman as a first layer and micro puff half zip top as a second with a capilene light weight pant as a base with an R-one pant as a second layer. Knit hat, light gloves and Meindl boots. That is it. Perfect for the day, as no sweat and not cold.

I didn't carry a pack, just the rifle. I knew I would be hiking all day. I had a fleece pullover left in the truck.

It seems to be a natural instinct to wear too much at the beginning of the trek. You have to underdress to start and layer up if you find yourself still cold after walking for awhile.

If one were to be stopping to glass or take a stand you would have needed all you had to stay warm. That is wear this thread is valuable. Keeping away from sweat by walking"light" but having the puffys and other insulation layers in the pack to add as needed.

Stand hunting and stalk/track hunting are so different that they need two strategies. But even short walks to your stand can bring up a sweat if overdressed. One tip is to drive to your hunting destination with the heat on low or off in the truck so you can adjust to the outside temp knowing that you exertion while getting to your stand will kick up the body heat.

The bottom line is never sweat in the first place and if you do, have the layering system that enables your body to push out that moisture through to the outside layers.

This thread is a big help in figuring out what those layers are for you.

Thanks for making me focus more on tweaking my approach to layering.