Originally Posted by prm
bwinters, what are your thoughts of the Peleton 240 over a capelene base (or Aerowool) and then a Guide DCS over that? I'm really trying to determine the benefits of the Peleton 240 vs. the Chinook jacket. I have a DCS Guide jacket already. What I need is a layer over the base to wear when climbing on cool/cold mornings. It must move moisture. On Kuiu's site they state the Chinook is "our most breathable soft shell jacket" and that appeals to me.
If it got cold, or I stopped to glass, the Kifaru Lost Park would go on top.

I'm not bwinters, but I have a good collection of Kuiu stuff and can tell you I have no idea what the Chinook jacket was invented for. Absolutely useless when taken in context with a complete layering system. Maybe bowhunters would like it, I don't know. Certainly, as a matter of usefulness or lack thereof, it should not be their most expensive soft-shell. All in all, I'd put money elsewhere.

The 240 is a good piece of gear, except it doesn't hold up to snagging on brush very well. If you buy one, you'll know what I mean pretty quick. Wear it doing day chores around the house and you'll look down and say WTH are all these snags from?

I'd look at the Peloton 200, which is a totally different weave. Or just a solid fleece from North Face, Patagonia, etc for around $100.

Kuiu, like any other company, makes some good stuff and makes some dogs. I'd rate their zip-off bottom base layers and the Guide pants as "can't live without" products. I also really like the Teton/Kenai insulated jackets. Super Down, Super Down Pro, and Guide jacket are middle of the road. They are good, but don't exceed the competitors in any way. Chinook is pretty useless. 240 is a good idea, but they gotta fix the snag issue or its pretty much useless for hunting.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.