Originally Posted by bellydeep
[quote=Formidilosus]
Could you list what you carry to allow you to sit motionless for so many hours?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't find it practical to carry as many clothes as I think I would need to stay warm (and again, cold feet are ultimately my limiting factor).

Also, I don't mind taking short breaks to warm up during glassing sessions. My eyes and brain welcome the disruption.

Overall, I think we hunt using similar tactics. I'm just curious as to how you are able to sit so long.

There are a few combinations that generally work, but down to 15-20 degrees this year-

Lightweight base layer top and bottom- FL Aerowool, Patagonia Level 1, FS 100, etc.

Light to mid fleece top- Patagonia R1 grid, etc.

Wind shirt.

Whatever pants one prefers- Prana Zion, Sitka Timberlines FL, Obsidian, etc.

That’s what’s worn moving. Immediately upon stopping, put on Chamberlin jacket and rain jacket over that.

Lightweight puff pants go on, heavy weight puff pants (PCU Level 7, Beyond, etc.) over that. Then rain pants over all of it. Add neck gaitor and beenie. The main weakness is puff pants. No one is really making down pants comparable to the FL Chamberlin. Nunatak will build them, and I’ll have a pair next year.

Any colder and you really need to step up to a true artic suit such as the Arc’teryx LEAF Cold WX SV.

Originally Posted by prm
You’re saying 40+ dudes couldn’t comfortably glass in the teens wearing an Aerowool base, Peleton 240, Arcteryx Atom and an LPP?? I find that an insanely warm combination. Too warm for anything but glassing. I’ve been wearing it a few weeks and it’s fantastic for me. If it’s too cold when wearing that I’m not going hunting. I think the coldest I’ve sat with it is 0-5 deg. Body is totally comfortable.

No, not motionless. How long were you sitting still and “totally comfortable”?