Did 18 miles yesterday in the Smokys, not big elevation gain, only about 10-1100 feet but it was rolly-polly all day. Temps in the low 40's, a bit of wind, overcast and crappy, did run into light rain in the PM. I wore the FL Aerowool Minerett under the Patagonia R1 all day - excellent combo. Yesterday was a good example of why I like hoods on midlayers. It was windy in stretches depending on which side of the mountain you were on. On the windy side, my ears got cold. Flip up the hood, no more cold ears.

I also had a Kuiu 240 Peloton with me. I started off hiking with the FL, R1, and 240 in the AM when it was in the 30's. Within 1/2 mile peeled the 240 off. Both the R1 and 240 are deceptively warm. The 240 is also offers more than a bit of wind resistance. I also wore it when it was lightly raining. We hiked in the misty rain for ~ 1.5 hours and the rain never made it to my skin.

If I was to pontificate, the Minerett + R1 be good for hiking down into the low-mid 20's, maybe cooler if you run warm. I don't. The Minerett-R1-240 Peloton would make a great still hunt combo likely down into the 20's.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.