Originally Posted by bwinters
Form - lets break down 'warmest puffy' into 3 categories - I'd like your thoughts. I'm personally more interested in synthetic but down is allowed to play. Lets define 'lightweight' as anything less than 24oz.

Outright warmth, weight not really a consideration
Warmest with consideration for lightweight
Warmest breathable lightweight

Thanks.

There are a ton of like items and it really comes down to picking by full weight (warmth) and cut/features. Down is always going to be warmer for same weight and lighter for same warmth.

Outright warmth- Arcteryx Cold WX Parka SVX (though that's probably not what you were thinking). In that case, the Firstlite Chamberlin is going to be the warmest puffy before you get into the $900 plus realm. 10+ ounces of 850 fill down is getting into true cold weather clothing.

Warmest with consideration for weight- 6-8oz of 800+ fill down, 3.5oz Apex or equivalent.

Warmest breathable lightweight- Anything with 80-100g Polartec Alpha/Coreloft Continuous (Arcteryx Proton).

With puffys you really have to go off of what is the coldest that you want to maintain absolute comfort in a true stationary position. Then think of it like a sleeping bag minus 10-15 degrees. I.e. If a certain fill weight in a sleeping bag is good to 20 degrees, the same fill weight in a jacket is good to 30-35 degrees at best. It won't be as warm as a bag due to reduced efficiency and heat transfer, as well as more air leaks. I think one reason why there is so much confusion with insulation and warmth is that very few people actually remain motionless in truly cold conditions. Especially hunters. We have never seen anyone else sitting motionless and glassing for hours in November/December when it's below 20 degrees. They are all sitting in the truck, or slowing moving.

I'll tell you that we backpack hunt from 65 degrees and sunny to negative zero and snowing with the main tactic of hiking to vantage points, glassing for hours motionless and then a near sprint to get into range.

My clothing for next year will be-

Firstlite Aerowool top and bottom (lightweight).
Light-midweight fleece top such as the Arcteryx Fortrez hoody or Patagonia R1.
Sitka Kelvin Active or Arcteryx Proton AR.
Probably the Firstlite Kanab/Obsidians even though they have durability issues.
Firstlite Chamberlin Puffy
Probably the PCU puff pants since no one wants to make a puffy pant that's warm enough.