Originally Posted by 1Nut
Originally Posted by alukban

I kinda don't look at the First Lite Uncomphagre as a "real puffy". Let me say that it is definitely NOT the "warmest puffy". For me, I want the warmest AND least bulky "puffy" that has a particular fit. It is its confluence of features that distinguishes it to me.

I look at it more as windshell with an excellent cut (hood and archer's sleeves) that happens to have some UL insulation in the correct places. It is so thin and trim, I could wear a puffy over it. The body is also cut extremely generously to fit vests underneath but it is still not too bulky.

The Uncomphagre seems to be warm in complete disproportion to its bulk (lack of). That's where its "magic" is to me.

FWIW

I agree. Not the warmest, but a good part of a layering system, easy to pack, and warm enough for me when hiking and stopping to glass in combination with a vest or additional jacket from the pack (dependant on the weather).

While I had doubts that the Uncomphagre was going to be "the furnace" that most claim, as soon as I got it in hand I knew that there wasn't anyway for it to be that warm. After using it, it's not. It's about like a 40* sleeping bag. Puffys are almost like scopes it seems- people don't really know what they should be expecting and looking for, and therefor they all seem great. I think it's a decent piece, but the problem for me with the Uncomphagre is that it's warmth doesn't match its weight.

Not trying to dog on anyone's favorite kit, but trying to bring some realism to those who might be reading this and thinking some of these puffys are going to be like wearing a sleeping bag and finding out that they aren't what you wear for "real" cold.